Saturday, April 18, 2015

The dust has settled


Did that seem like a long winter? Well here are a couple of number that would say it was. The greens were under a tarp (essentially a sheet of thick plastic) for 154 days. Also anywhere that ice had formed I have it calculated at 104 days. To say the least it was a tough winter and a few areas visibly struggled. I wasn’t able to get this information into the newsletter because I simply didn’t know exactly what was going on with every location for the submission deadline. The following is what I would consider I know at this point:

·       Yes the greens have suffered some winter kill. The green that has been hit the hardest is #6. We are estimating that 90% is damaged. My initial thought of action to repair it will be to do exactly what we did with 10 green last spring. I’ve learned many things over the years that I believe will contribute greatly to its successful recovery. This was completed on April 16th
·       Greens 1, 3, 9, 15, 18 will also require the above action to repair them however the level of damage is much less severe.
·       Greens 2, 16, 17 are candidates for repairing the damage with our green height sod from the nursery on hole 8, with 17 being the largest. Completed April 17th & 18th
·       I would anticipate we will have some temporary greens to start the season, it’s just too early to say exactly how many but no more than 4. What’s the upside? BIG CUPS!!  We’ve gone from our usual 6” to 8” for added enjoyment. ;-)
·       Tees are all in good shape including the newly constructed tee on 15.
·       Fairway damage is increased from last spring and if you are familiar with the property you know the “spots”. It’s more of a short term inconvenience though as they always make a decent recovery.

What’s next and what needs to happen to get our golf season started?

·       There is still an incredible amount of frost in the ground and many of the drain lines are still frozen which is hindering drainage on the course. From the greens to the fairways to bunkers the frost needs to subside so the drain lines can do their job and the course can start to dry out.
·       The week of April 20th we will begin the cleanup process. It’s the usual suspects that require the most work 1,2,3,4,5. Winter came upon us so quickly we didn’t get to cleaning up our normal amount of debris. This will not delay the opening however, it’s just standard business.
·       Then of course the final details. Mowing of all areas and getting all the hardware out to turn this place into a golf course.
·       We are right on schedule to open when we historically do.

Winter kill is always a disappointment but during my tenure here I would have to say it’s just a reality of our property and winters. I have a plan in place which I’m confident will lead to success and in turn some great golf course conditions before we know it. Once again some patience will be required because as I’ve come to realize it’s not how you overwinter it’s how come back. Don’t let this information concern you we have it all under control. I just want to keep you in the loop so you know what to expect when you come out and play your first round. After the conditions that we endured here on our property this winter by the time we open I feel we all will be pleased with where the condition of the golf course is at including myself (and I’m our hardest critic). Plus we have a very exciting project taking place this spring that I truly believe will enhance holes 6, 7 and 8 through the sale of the land to the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment